September 20, 2022
Nikon has announced the new Nikkor Z 17-28mm F2.8 Ultra wide-angle lens for full-frame Z-mount cameras. There’s a minimum focus distance of 19cm, a fast F/2.8 aperture throughout the zoom range, and a rounded 9-blade aperture. The lens was designed to minimize focus breathing, which should help the lens be suitable for video use. The lens weighs 450g and has a 67mm filter thread.
The lens will be available from late October 2022 and will cost £1199 (UK & NI) / $1199 (US).
Nikon Nikkor Z 17-28mm F2.8 Specifications
- 17-28mm focal length
- f/2.8 – f/22 aperture
- 13 elements in 11 groups (including 2 ED elements, 1 super ED element, 3 aspherical elements)
- Internal focusing system with minimum focusing distance: 19 cm / 0.19 m¹
- Constant aperture f/2.8
- Rounded 9-leaf opening
- 67 mm filter attachment size
- Dimensions: 75mm x 101mm (diameter x length)
- Weight: 450g
- Includes lens cap, lens hood and lens case
From Nikon: London, UK, September 20, 2022: Nikon today launches its lightest full-frame mirrorless zoom lens to date: the NIKKOR Z 17-28mm f/2.8. A must-have lens for travel, events and creative storytelling, this fast, ultra-wide-angle zoom is designed to help photographers and video shooters expand their creative range—all at a lower weight.
From epic views to frame-filling close-ups, the NIKKOR Z 17-28mm f/2.8 is the perfect lens for telling diverse visual stories from a unique perspective. landscapes to cityscapes. Expansive skies to street scenes. architecture to interiors. The 17-28mm focal range allows photographers to capture detailed, all-encompassing wide-angle shots – or play with scale and exaggerate perspective. Video shooters can pull viewers into a scene with wide shots or create a sense of spaciousness when shooting in tight spaces.
Designed to enable confident and creative wide-angle photography, the NIKKOR Z 17-28mm f/2.8 is both versatile and easy to use. The constant f/2.8 aperture is great for shooting in available light or getting creative with shutter speeds – and the lens gives big, beautiful bokeh when shooting wide open. Users who opt for dramatic, ultra-wide-angle close-up shots will greatly benefit from the minimum focusing distance of just 0.19m, allowing for sharp, clear close-up results. In addition, the wide zoom ring of the lens enables convenient handling and stable image adjustment. And Nikon’s responsive AF quickly focuses on subjects, whether they’re in the foreground or in the background.
Zurab Kiknadze, Product Manager at Nikon Europe, says: “If you travel, shoot events or just love storytelling, the NIKKOR Z 17-28mm f/2.8 puts mesmerizing compositions and dramatic perspectives within easy reach. This ultra-wide-angle zoom is designed to stay on your camera and take you anywhere as you seek new inspiration or revisit familiar places and capture them from bold new angles.”
Nikon Nikkor Z 17-28mm F2.8 Key Features
- Engineered for superb sharpness and less distortion – even when shooting at the ultra-wide 17mm end of the zoom range.
- Short minimum focusing distance: 19 cm / 0.19 m¹
- Constant aperture f/2.8
- The rounded 9-blade aperture allows for large, soft bokeh spheres in wide-open shots
- Engineered to allow for a quiet and smooth focus
- Reduced focus breathing
- Faster and more accurate AF
- Customizable silent controls and wide zoom ring
- Lightweight – only about 450g – and the lens is sealed to protect against dust and water droplets.¹
¹ At the 17mm zoom position.
² This lens is not dust and splash resistant in all situations or conditions.
For more Nikon Z mount lenses, check out our guide to the best Nikon Z mount lenses.
Follow AP on Facebook, TwitterInstagram and YouTube.