Make Sure You Will Get the Right Visa For Indonesia

Indonesia has many different visa options for people who want to visit this large and beautiful archipelago.

With so much information out there it can get confusing, so it’s important to make sure you make the right visa choice.

The information below is valid at the time of publication, but remember that immigration rules can, and do, change without notice, so it’s worth checking with a reputable agency or with immigration before you go ahead and start the process .

Short term visas

If you are looking to stay in Indonesia for a short time, you can apply for a short-term visa, which covers the tourist visa, visa on arrival (VoA) and business visa. All Indonesia short-term visas were single-entry during COVID-19 but multiple-entry visas have just been restarted. However, this is currently very limited and is being tested by the authorities as the judgment is not yet optimized. Multiple-entry visas are intended for people who are on government assignments and foreign businessmen who go on business trips or invest in Indonesia.

Let’s take a closer look at these short-term visas.

Tourist visa

Do you want to visit Indonesia for a holiday or for sightseeing? If the answer is yes, apply for a tourist visa before your departure. To apply, you must be sponsored by a visa agent in Indonesia. It is very important to note here that you are not allowed to work on a tourist visa.

Duration: 60 days

Extendable: Yes (Maximum twice after first application)

Maximum stay: 180 days (including extensions)

Visa on Arrival (VoA)

After a long period of COVID-19 restrictions and protocols, Indonesia has finally reopened the Visa on Arrival (VoA) facility. The list of countries that can apply for the VoA is continuously updated, so it is best to check directly with immigration which countries the VoA applies to ( /visa-kunjungan-saat- arrival/)

As with the tourist visa, the VoA does not allow you to work in Indonesia.

Duration: 30 days

Extendable: Yes (one time only)

Maximum stay: 60 days (extension included)

Business Visa

Business visas are for those who want to study markets, meet with potential distributors or suppliers, set up a representative office, attend meetings or seminars and do other business activities. You must have a sponsorship letter from either an Indonesian company or a foreign company based in Indonesia. You are not allowed to work or earn money on this visa.

Also Read :  He's trying his best, but... │ GMA News Online

Duration: 60 days

Extendable: Yes (Maximum twice after first application)

Maximum stay: 180 days

Long-term visas

If you plan to stay in Indonesia for a longer period of time with a specific purpose, you should look for one of the Long-Term Visa options, which are: Working KITAS, Investor KITAS, KITAP, Impresariat KITAS, Student Visa, Spousal KITAS, Dependent KITAS, Pension KITAS, and the newly introduced Second Home Visa.

For all permits applied for offshore (outside Indonesia), you must first apply for a VITAS (Entry Permit), which is a visa that allows you to enter the country. When you arrive, you must go to an immigration office to convert your VITAS to a KITAS (Limited Stay Permit Card) within 30 days of the date of your arrival.

Working KITAS – Limited residence permit

A KITAS (Kartu Izin Tinggal Terbatas) or a Limited Residence Permit Card is a temporary residence permit card, not a work permit. To work, you also need an IMTA (Izin Menggunakan Tenaga Kerja Asing). The company you plan to work for is responsible for the process as they are your sponsor. The company must have an RPTKA (Penempatan Tenaga Kerja Asing) or an Expatriate Placement Plan, which needs the approval of the Ministry of Manpower.

Duration: Six months or one year

Extendable: Yes

Investor KITAS

An Investor KITAS is for those who invest in a business because it allows you to live in Indonesia and manage your business. You can apply for an investor KITAS if you own a PT PMA (Limited Liability Company with Foreign Direct Investment), or if you have invested in a PT PMA. To be eligible, you must have a minimum of Rp1 billion in invested shares if you have a position in the company. If you are just a shareholder, you need a minimum investment of Rp1,250 billion and the invested capital of the company must be over Rp10 billion. For investors who plan to come to Indonesia, you can get either a one-year or two-year Investor KITAS. Your passport must be valid for at least 30 months for a two-year Investor KITAS and at least 18 months for the 1-year option.

Also Read :  China, Indonesia set to make greater contributions to region and the world - Academia

Duration: One or two years

Extendable: Yes

KITAP – A Permanent Residence Permit card

KITAP (Kartu Izin Tinggal Tepat) is a permanent residence permit for foreign nationals who have held a KITAS with the same sponsor for a minimum of five years. The KITAP itself is valid for five years and does not require you to leave the country for an extension. You also need a MERP (Multiple Exit Re-entry Permit) which is valid for two years and must be renewed every two years, so you can exit and re-enter Indonesia as often as you like. By holding a KITAP, you can get an Indonesian ID card, and a local driver’s license, you can also open a bank account in a local bank and apply for a local credit card. You need a sponsor letter for the KITAP application.

Duration: Five years

Extendable: Yes

Impresariat KITAS (Entertainment KITAS)

If you are a DJ, musician, singer, artist or art director, you can apply for the impresariat KITAS, which allows you to work and live in the country for up to 60 days. However, you must have a work agreement and a sponsor in Indonesia. This visa is not renewable, and you must apply for a new visa when it expires.

Duration: six months

Extendable: No

Student Visa (Study KITAS)

If you plan to study in Indonesia, you need an Indonesian student visa. Before you can apply, you must be accepted to an Indonesian university and have a letter of acceptance. Then you can apply for a VITAS (entry visa) and when you arrive you can convert your VITAS into a KITAS at an immigration office. You are not allowed to work on a student visa/KITAS.

Duration: Six months or one year

Extendable: Yes

Spouse KITAS

If you are married to an Indonesian and the marriage is recognized by the government, you can apply for a Spousal KITAS with your spouse as your sponsor. First, you need to apply for a VITAS (entry visa) electronically and when you enter the country, the VITAS will be converted into a KITAS at an immigration department. After receiving your spouse’s KITAS, and if you have been married for at least two years, you can apply for a permanent residence permit or a spouse’s KITAP, which is valid for 5 years.

Also Read :  Travelling to Bali, Indonesia Indie Filmmaker Bob Bryan Films 2 Documentaries about this Mythical & Fascinating Culture

Duration: One year

Extendable: Yes

Dependent KITAS (Family Reunion Visas)

The Dependent KITAS is for those who accompany a family member who has a KITAS. It is designed for husband or wife and children (under the age of 18 years) of the main KITAS holder and is sponsored by the same company that sponsors the main KITAS holder. You are not allowed to work or earn any income on this visa.

Duration: the length of stay of the main KITAS holder

Extendable: Yes

Pension KITAS

If you are over 55 years old and do not plan to work in Indonesia, you can get a pension kitas. You must show proof of sufficient funds, have a sponsor and have a rental agreement for your accommodation for a minimum of one year. In addition, you must also hire a domestic helper, show that you are in good health and have insurance.

Duration: One year

Extendable: Yes (four times after the first application)

Second Home Visa (NEW!)

Although not yet available, Immigration and the Ministry of Law and Human Rights have announced the rules for the second-home visa for foreigners or ex-Indonesians to obtain a five-year or 10-year visa. With this you can perform various activities like investment and work. Applicants must have a passport that is valid for at least 36 months and proof of sufficient funds. The new policy will be in full force 60 days after the circular letter is launched.

Duration Five years or 10 years

Extendable: Yes

At Seven Stones Indonesia, we believe in providing first class visa services handled by experienced visa agents. Our immigration services are fast, reliable and competitively priced and cover every option so you can stay legally in Indonesia.

You can check out our YouTube channel for the “Top 5 questions” asked about visas in Indonesia and If you want more details, contact us via [email protected]


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.