Major winter storm approaching Ontario and Quebec : In The News for Dec. 23

In The News is a series of news from The Canadian Press designed to start the day. Here’s what’s on our editors’ radar on the morning of December 23… What we watched in Canada…

In The News is a series of news from The Canadian Press designed to start the day. Here’s what’s on our editors’ radar on the morning of December 23…

What are we watching in Canada?

A major winter storm is approaching in Ontario and Quebec, and residents are warned to reconsider their travel plans as conditions could become dangerous.

Environment Canada has issued weather warnings for most of Ontario and most of Quebec, saying heavy snow, strong winds and freezing rain are expected in some areas.

In parts of Southern Ontario, rain and subsequent falling temperatures can cause freezing conditions, while high winds and blizzard conditions are predicted in some areas.

Toronto District School Board and Ottawa and London, Ont.

Late on Thursday, WestJet proactively canceled flights at airports in Ontario, Quebec and British Columbia as storm systems put pressure on the regions.

The airline said the cancellations apply to all flights scheduled to arrive and depart Toronto’s Pearson International Airport from 9 a.m. ET on Friday to the end of the day – Ottawa, London, Montreal and Waterloo, among other airports affected by the service disruptions.

While many areas in Quebec are expected to receive a mix of heavy snow, rain and strong winds, some areas may experience freezing rain.

Meteorologists have warned that predicted weather in both provinces could cause power outages.

Also this…

Leading experts involved in the development of extending Canada’s medical-assisted death regimen to people whose only underlying condition is a mental illness are at odds over whether the expansion should be delayed.

One expert says the delay will ease the pressure on the “rushed process” of developing practice guidelines for complex cases, and says training modules for practitioners won’t be ready until the end of this year or early next year at the earliest. But another expert says it’s not necessary to wait any longer.

The system is scheduled to include such patients from next March, following a two-year deprecation clause added to the 2021 update for medical assistance in the dying or MAID law.

Despite an expert panel determining that appropriate safeguards are in place, the federal government announced last week that it intends to pass legislation for further delays. How long is not specified.

“Not everyone is ready,” Justice Minister David Lametti said when he made the announcement.

Madeline Li, a cancer psychiatrist who has appeared on several panels on MAID, says the Liberal government is still trying to develop practice guidelines for patients whose only underlying condition is a mental illness.

Also Read :  Building on the unexpected success of A Plague Tale

He said he was happy with the decision to delay enlargement and that the delay would allow him and others to “develop accordingly” the guidelines.

He said a curriculum he helped develop would train clinicians to consider the psychological factors that drive their desire to die, and teach them how to evaluate vulnerable patients who are considering a medically assisted death and center their thoughts on equality and diversity.

What are we watching in the USA?

Hairdresser Grisel Garces has survived a grueling four-month journey from his hometown of Venezuela through tropical forests, migrant detention centers in southern Mexico, and then winding carriage journeys north to the US border.

Currently Texas is across El Paso, on the Mexican side of the Rio Grande, with concern over the pending U.S. Supreme Court ruling on asylum restrictions that are expected to affect him and the thousands of other immigrants crossing the nearly 3,100-mile border from Texas to California. waiting. And it does so while living outside as winter temperatures drop across much of the US and beyond.

He talked about finding more challenges to escape economic hardship, such as having to shiver in colder weather than he’s ever experienced.

“It was bad to get on the train. Here the situation is even worse. “Surrender yourselves to God’s mercy,” said Garces, who left behind her school-age daughter in hopes of going to the United States with her husband.

Their savings have run out, some days they don’t eat. And on Thursday, Garces waited and watched as hundreds of immigrants lined up to gradually pass through a gate in the border fence to be processed by US immigration officials. He fears immediate deportation due to current asylum restrictions and does not dare to cross the shallow waters of the Rio Grande in sight.

Dozens of migrants spend their nights on the concrete banks of the river, awaiting news of possible changes to asylum restrictions that came into effect in March 2020. some immigrants who were not immediately able to find a place in the expanding refuge network provided by the city and religious groups.

The Trump administration-era asylum ban (Title 42) was given a short extension Wednesday by Supreme Court Chief John Roberts. It is unclear when the final decision of the Supreme Court will come. The Biden administration has asked the court to lift restrictions, but not before Christmas.

Under Title 42, authorities have deported 2.5 million asylum seekers inside the United States for preventing the spread of COVID-19, and have turned away most asylum seekers at the border.

Also Read :  This Vermont Lake Is Home To The First Dive Site Of Jacques Cousteau

What are we watching in the rest of the world…

Charles Sobhraj, confessed to being a French serial killer, was released from prison in Nepal on Friday after serving most of his sentence for murdering American and Canadian backpackers.

Sobhraj was released from the Central Prison in Kathmandu in a heavily guarded police convoy to the Immigration Department, where he would await the preparation of travel documents.

The country’s Supreme Court had ordered Sobhraj, who was serving a life sentence in Nepal, to be released because of poor health, good behavior and having already served most of his sentence. Life imprisonment in Nepal is 20 years.

The Emir also said that he must leave the country within 15 days.

Sobhraj’s lawyer, Gopal Siwakoti Chitan, told reporters that the request for travel documents must be made by the immigration agency to the French embassy in Nepal, and this may take some time. Offices are closed on the weekend due to the Christmas holiday.

The court document says he has served more than 75% of his sentence, making him eligible for release and has a heart condition.

The French admitted to killing several Western tourists in the past and is believed to have killed at least 20 people in Afghanistan, India, Thailand, Turkey, Nepal, Iran and Hong Kong in the 1970s. However, his 2004 conviction in Nepal was the first time he had been found guilty in court.

Sobhraj was held in New Delhi’s maximum security Tihar prison for twenty years on suspicion of theft, but was deported to France without charge in 1997. It reappeared in Kathmandu in September 2003.

His nickname, The Serpent, derives from his reputation as a disguise and escape artist.

Today in 1900…

“One Two Three Four – is it snowing where you are, Mr. Thiessen?” If so, get back to me by telegram.” Canadian Reginald Fessenden said these first radio-transmitted words from an area on Cobb Island in the middle of the Potomac River near Washington. A kilometer away, his assistant, Mr. Thiessen, reported rapid snowfall in Morse code, and he could hear Fessenden’s voice. This was the birth of radio broadcasting. However, six years later, after much fine-tuning, the potential of radio was demonstrated. Fessenden presented the radio’s first program from Boston on Christmas Eve 1906.

in fun…

On Thursday, jurors began deliberations at the trial of rapper Tory Lanez, who was accused of shooting hip-hop star Megan Thee Stallion in the foot.

The jury of seven women and five men debated for a little over three hours after hearing the final part of the closing argument of the defense, which began the day before, and a brief rebuttal from Los Angeles County prosecutors.

Also Read :  Floods in Nigeria submerge entire communities

They have failed to reach a verdict and will return on Friday to continue negotiations on three felony charges brought against the 30-year-old Canadian rapper, who pleads not guilty: gross negligent discharge of firearms, assault with a semi-automatic firearm, and an unlicensed firearm loaded in a vehicle. Counts can lead to up to 22 years in prison and deportation.

Megan Thee Stallion, 27, legal name Megan Pete, said Lanez fired a pistol behind her feet as she drove away from an SUV in the Hollywood Hills and yelled at her to dance. in the summer of 2020. He had to have surgery to remove the lead fragments from his foot.

In the closing debates, prosecutors highlighted the courage it took to come forward and the harsh criticism it faced for doing so. They said he had no incentive to say anything but the truth.

Lanez’s lawyer claimed in closing that the shots were actually ignited by Megan’s then-best friend, Kelsey Harris, in a jealous fight over Lanez trying to stop the shooting. Lawyer George Mgdesyan claims Megan created a more sympathetic narrative by blaming the shooting on Lanez.

Did you see that?

One LGBTQ refugee group says Ottawa has helped resettle 600 Afghans fleeing persecution because of their sexual orientation or gender identity to Canada.

Earlier this week, Toronto-based Rainbow Railroad said it was able to relocate only four percent of the roughly 3,800 Afghans who have sought help from the organization who have arrived in Canada since the Taliban took over their country.

The organization complained that Ottawa’s resettlement programs did not take into account Afghans who are persecuted because of their sexual orientation or gender identity, and who are often unable to escape safely to neighboring countries.

But Rainbow Railroad reports that Canada Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship has since pledged to help relocate 600 LGBTQ Afghans, in addition to the 180 who have already arrived in Canada and the 20 or so Afghans expected to arrive later this year. He promised.

The Immigration Department did not approve of the move, citing security risks, but says it facilitates the resettlement of certain groups with stakeholders like the Rainbow Railroad.

“We continue to explore all avenues and maximize every opportunity to bring Afghans to Canada as quickly and safely as possible,” ministry spokesman Jeffrey MacDonald said by email. said.

It’s unclear when 600 will arrive.

This report from The Canadian Press was first published on December 23, 2022.

Canadian Press



Source

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.