Here’s how you can go to UK for language course

London – The United Kingdom is known for its architectural wonders as well as its diverse culture and the level of education it provides to students.

If you are also trying to upskill yourself with some qualification to improve your language, the UK offers a short-term study visa where you can live in the country for less than a year but you can upgrade your skill level through short courses.


You can apply for a short-term study visa to study the English language in the UK and for that, the English language course should last for more than 6 months and up to 11 months. To apply, you must be over 16 years old.

For the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein

If you or your family belong to the countries mentioned above, and you started living in the UK by 31 December 2020, you may be able to apply for the EU’s free regularization scheme.

The application deadline has passed, meaning 30 June 2021 for most people, but you can still apply if you have a later deadline – for example, you’re joining a family member in the UK who lives there until 31 December 2020 or you have “reasonable reasons” that they can’t submit an application by the deadline; The reason could be a medical condition or an emergency such as domestic abuse.

It should be mentioned that Irish citizens do not need to apply for a visa or the EU settlement scheme, but for all other cases, you need a visa to study in the UK.

length of stay

You can stay in the UK for the duration of your course plus an additional 30 days, but your stay can no longer exceed 11 months on this visa.


The cost of this short-term study visa is £200, but you will also need to pay the healthcare surcharge which normally costs £470. The healthcare add-on allows you to use the National Health Service (NHS) in the UK.

For refunds, it is made clear that you will only receive a fee refund if UKVI (UK Visa and Immigration) has not started processing your application.

What you can’t do

On this short-term study visa, you are not allowed to study any other course or change your course in the UK. Moreover, it is also forbidden to study at a state-funded school.

Also Read :  UK supporting Nigeria to deliver credible elections in 2023 – High commissioner

Besides, working or conducting any business whether the work is paid or unpaid, work experience or work placements are absolutely not allowed on this visa. Also, you are not allowed to bring family members (dependent) with you on this visa or submit an application for most of the public funds or the pension.

Visa extension

You are not allowed to extend the short-term study visa.

Documents to attach

When submitting the application you must provide:

  • A current passport (with a blank page for your visa) or other valid travel document
  • Evidence that you can support yourself during your trip. For this purpose, you can attach bank statements or payslips of the last 6 months
  • Details of where you intend to stay and your travel plans, but do not pay until you receive your visa
  • Proof that you have paid your course fees or have enough money to pay them
  • You also need to provide your TB test results, if you are from a country where you need to be tested for TB
  • Contact details of at least one parent or guardian in your home country, if you are under 18.
  • Certified translation if any documents are not in English or Welsh
  • You will usually get biometric residence permits if you come to the UK for more than 6 months, or extend your visa for more than 6 months, apply to settle in the UK, transfer your visa to a new passport or apply for certain travel documents to the Home Office. .

Documents about your course

You must provide written proof of the course you are taking. This can be done by submitting an acceptance letter from the educational institution stating the name of the course, duration and cost (including accommodation). You may also be asked to provide additional documents such as proof of your authorization to be in the country from which you are applying (in case you are not a citizen). Moreover, documents related to the financial sponsor’s occupation, income, savings or funds that will support your studies may also be required.

Also Read :  Changing narrative of Nigeria’s ‘abysmal’ airspace safety

In case you are under 18, you must provide additional documents if you are traveling alone or

You are traveling with someone who is not your parent or guardian. Remember you can travel to the UK unaccompanied if you are 18 or over.

If you are traveling on your own, you must obtain written consent from both parents (or one parent if they are solely responsible) or your legal guardian. This must confirm that they agree to your visa application, your living and care arrangements in the UK, your travel to the UK as well as proof that you have a suitable place to live during your stay in the UK, including the name and date of birth of a person you will be staying with and an address where you will be living.

In addition, you must also provide details of your relationship to the person who will be caring as well as your guardian’s consent for the people you live with to be able to care for you during your stay in the UK.

Furthermore, your parent, guardian or school must tell the relevant local authority about your visit if:

  • You are under 18 and have a disability
  • You are going to be looked after for more than 28 days by someone who is not a relative (called a ‘private foster’)

You must provide an answer from the local authority if you have one.

If you are traveling to the UK with an adult (someone aged 18 or over), you need to identify them on your visa application and that name will appear on your visa, and you will be granted entry to the UK if you arrive without them. It is worth noting that you can identify up to 2 adults on your visa application, and your visa will only be valid if you are traveling with at least one of them.

When it comes to applying for a visa, the adult can apply for a visa at the same time but you must complete each separate application.

how to apply

The first thing is to gather evidence about supporting your online application as detailed above. For this, you must prove that you have been admitted to an English language course that lasts 11 months or less and does not include other subjects. You must also prove that your course is at an accredited institution and that you have enough money to support yourself without working or help from public funds, or that relatives and friends can support and catch you. You must also attach proof that you can pay for the return or onward journey.

Also Read :  Thanet man Aram Rawf describes fleeing to Kent after refusing to be a suicide bomber

For those under the age of 18, it must be ensured through documents that you have arranged your trip and stay in the UK and have the consent of your parent or guardian to study in the UK.

You must apply online before you arrive in the country and the official version is that the earliest you can apply is 3 months before you travel to the UK. As part of your online application, you will also need to make an appointment at a visa application center to provide your documents and prove your identity.

The Visa Application Center may retain your passport and documents while processing your application and call you according to their schedule. The online application link for this purpose is this.

appointment day

After booking an appointment, you will be called and you will have to prove that you have been accepted to an English language course offered by an accredited institution and that you have enough funds to support yourself without working or public assistance. finances, or relatives and friends can support and house you. Moreover, you will also need to prove that you can pay for the return or the trip (details we mentioned earlier).

If you successfully land in the UK, you will need to collect your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP), full details of which can be seen here.

processing time

There can be a maximum three week wait after applying online, proving your identity and providing your documents.

Subject to certain conditions, you can also fast-track your application by paying an additional fee.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.