GEORGETOWN, Guyana, CMC – Guyana has become the first Caribbean Community (CARICOM) country to impose new entry requirements on travelers arriving from China, where there has been an increase in cases of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19).
“Beginning on January 8, 2023, all passengers aged 2 years and older originating from the People’s Republic of China will be required to undergo a COVID-19 test (such as a PCR or antigen test) no more than two days prior to departure from the PRC, Hong Kong or Macau, and show a test result negative in good faith to the airline/supplier at the time of departure,” according to an official statement.
According to him, variants of the SARS-CoC-2 virus continue to appear around the world and in light of the current surge in COVID-19 cases in some parts of the world, and to reduce the chance of a new variant of concern entering, the Ministry of Health will implement a requirement for a negative COVID-19 test.
“Not less than 48 hours or documentation of recovery for all passengers (two years and over) traveling directly or in transit to Guyana from the People’s Republic of China, and the Special Administrative Regions of Hong Kong, or Macao,” will also. required, according to the statement.
The ministry stated that the requirement applies to these passengers regardless of nationality and vaccination status and will also apply to people traveling from the PRC through transit to a third country and to passengers on onward flights to Guyana
“Passengers who tested positive more than 10 days prior to flight can provide documentation of recovery from COVID-19 in lieu of a negative test result,” and “Airlines and other ports of entry must confirm negative COVID-19 test results or documentation of recovery for all passengers before they board or prevent passengers from boarding the plane who do not meet the requirements.”
The statement said the requirement to show a bona fide negative test result has been shown to reduce the number of infected passengers boarding airlines and will help slow the spread of the virus “as we work to identify and understand any potential new variants that may emerge.
“The Ministry of Health will continue to monitor travel patterns, adjust our approach as needed and update the Guyanese public in a timely manner.”
Guyana’s announcement comes even as the Director General of the Caribbean Public Health Agency (CAPHA), based in Trinidad, Dr. Joy St. John said on Thursday that several variants of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) that are causing increases in the United States, United Kingdom and China has been “circling the Caribbean since last year.”
But St. John urged regional countries not to close their borders or implement travel restrictions as a means of curbing the spread of the virus.