Grand Canyon saw attendance grow 25% on way to setting record

SUSANNAH CARNEY and BRUCE CARL ERTMANN Special for the Daily Sun

100 years ago

1922: The Sun made no attempt to compile a list of those who walked, drove or horseback Sunday morning to celebrate the opening of deer and turkey season. Just take your phone book and you have an incomplete list. For the number of people who left, multiply the names in the register by four or five. The season opened more brutally this year than last year. That means if the word makes you gasp, more deer and turkey were brought in on Sunday than on the first day last year. Dannie Campbell initially thought his £300, which he had several hours before midday, was the first shot of the day. But others later claimed that award, and Dannie had to settle for the knowledge that he was the greatest of them all.

Walter Lindblom reports that the buck fever he and a friend caught with their buck was worse than Malta fever ever.

People also read…

Jimmy Gregg got his money early in the morning behind the reservoir. George Wade and George Bailey shared a dollar and a turkey. John Seay hit a buck twice with a shotgun, he said. The buck has not yet been reported. Dean Eldridge killed a mountain lion last Friday. The group set out for the area north of the San Francisco Peaks at 5 a.m. Friday afternoon. Four hours after leaving town and 30 minutes after unleashing the pack of dogs, they had the cat. The dogs herded him into a 75-foot pine tree and pinned him there until the party came.

Also Read :  A Guide To Sicily's By Italian Electronic Duo Mathame

Eldridge says the lion he shot had eyes as big as saucers.

75 years ago

1947: Trips to Grand Canyon National Park for the travel year ended September 30 broke all records, totaling 611,318, according to a trip report released today by Park Superintendent HC Bryant. Compared to the travel year 1946 with 488,819 visitors, this means an increase of 25%. Forecasts made at the end of the 1946 voyage year said that 1947 voyages would reach at least half a million. That number was reached on August 20, and voyages continued to a new record-breaking total. That huge surge, Bryant said, is part of the great post-war travel picture, but the total was unexpected. As a result, even with stays rationed to three days every night during the peak summer months, all available accommodation was occupied and significant inconvenience to park visitors was inevitable. An analysis of the travel figures shows that Californians were once again the largest number of visitors. Arizona was second again. The next three follow in the same order as last year – Illinois, Texas and Ohio. Vandalism wasn’t as extensive as it was a year ago. Arguably the meanest visitor this year was the one who stole the emergency phone off the side of the road near Buggein Hill in August.

Also Read :  US, Russia trade threats of nuclear war as referendums in East Ukraine end

50 years ago

1972: The 10-year timber management plan for the Coconino National Forest has come under fire from the Coconino Sportsmen. The Sportsmen’s Organization called the environmental statement “incomplete” in a letter to Don Seaman, the local forest warden. It challenged the US Forest Service’s plans for the next 10 years because they were not specific to each of the proposed lumber sales and that they did not specify the location of roads to be built or reconstructed. The Forest Service is planning 51 miles of new roads and improvements to 87 miles of existing roads. For the past 10 years, approximately 5 miles of new roads and 87 miles of existing roads have been improved each year. Most of the roads to be built and improved should enable the logging industry to get the logs out of the forest. The draft statement notes that temporary logging roads must be closed once logging is complete in a given area. With no roads leading in and out of the forest, self-proclaimed athletes will build their own roads in their 4x4s. And that’s more polluting than what the Forest Service is suggesting.

25 years ago

1997: At least two stakeholders interested in affordable housing are taking a wait-and-see approach to the city council’s proposed affordable housing program. Helen Hudgens, executive director of the Affordable Housing Coalition, said she was not ready to comment on the impact of the program, but at this point she is excited for the chance to explore new affordable housing opportunities in Flagstaff. The council unveiled the plan on Tuesday, after proposing a rough outline of the regulation in July. Jean Richmond, executive vice president of the Northern Arizona Home Builders Association, said she wants to make sure any plan that purports to provide affordable housing is good for everyone involved. “We’re willing to look at any formula that works,” she said. The plan calls for developers building more than 10 housing units to dedicate between 5% and 40% of those units to affordable housing. The plan baseline is affordable housing needs based on the city’s median income of approximately $33,000. Feasibility is what several developers have said of Flagstaff housing projects missing from the proposed plan. The city government is in no danger of being lax about housing development, judging by the Council’s agenda for October. Tentatively scheduled for around mid-October is a discussion of the impact of traffic downstream, prompted by February’s approval of a development at University Heights. Before the end of the month, the City Council expects to see a consultant’s impact assessment and development fees.

Also Read :  Sierra Leone police summon Freetown mayor over 'disorderly behavior'

All events are extracted from the Arizona Daily Sun and its predecessors, the Coconino Weekly Sun and Coconino Sun.