There is now a new way to reach Southeast Asia with a direct, non-stop route from Vancouver International Airport (YVR).
As of today, Air Canada now operates a new route between YVR and Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK) in Bangkok, Thailand.
At present, it is a seasonal service until the end of March 2023, with flights departing four times a week.
Flights from YVR depart at 11pm on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays and arrive in BKK at 5:55am two days later. For the return journey, flights depart BKK at 8:30am on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays and arrive at YVR at 6:35am the same day.
Air Canada’s service uses Boeing 787 Dreamliner aircraft.
“We are excited to launch Air Canada’s first non-stop service to Southeast Asia and the only non-stop flights between North America and Thailand. Bangkok is one of the world’s most visited destinations, and customers can explore this exciting city known for its history, cuisine and culture, or travel internationally. “We have optimized connections to and from our trans-Pacific hub at YVR to provide convenient travel options for business,” said Mark Gallardo, senior vice-president of network planning and revenue management at Air Canada, in a statement.
“This new service from YVR is another step in our ambition to develop this hub into one of the most important trans-Pacific gateways in North America. We look forward to welcoming our customers onboard. “
In addition to providing a new route to Thailand and connecting with other Southeast Asian destinations, the new route will bring $2.8 million in tourism spending to the BC economy and $1.5 million in regional GDP.
“We are thrilled to expand Air Canada’s transpacific hub with the introduction of their new route to Bangkok at YVR,” said Tamara Vrooman, Vancouver Airport Authority President and CEO.
“This new service will provide passengers with excellent tourism options and expanded business opportunities in the region.”
Although YVR has dropped many of its pre-pandemic routes and frequencies to Asia since the start of the pandemic, it has also gained new routes, including Singapore Airlines’ direct service to the city-state of Singapore.
Late last month, Fiji Airways also launched its new service between YVR and Nadi, Fiji.
And later this month, Air Canada will begin new year-round daily service connecting YVR to Houston.
YVR Airport New Flights 2020-2022
- May 2, 2020: Istanbul, Turkey (IST) – Turkish Airlines, 3x per week
- December 2, 2021: Singapore (SIN) – Singapore Airlines, 4x weekly (Winter)
- May 1, 2022: Halifax, Nova Scotia (YHZ) – Air Canada, 5x per week
- May 16, 2022: Kelowna, BC (YLW) – Flair Airlines, 3x per week
- May 17, 2022: San Francisco, California (SFO) – Flair Airlines, 3x per week
- May 2, 2022: Quebec City, Quebec – Air Canada Rouge, 3x per week (summer season)
- June 1, 2022: Austin, Texas – Air Canada, 4x weekly
- June 15, 2022: Minneapolis, Minnesota (MSP) – Sun Country Airlines, 2x weekly (summer season)
- June 9, 2022: New York City (JFK) – JetBlue, Daily
- November 25, 2022: Nadi, Fiji (NAN) – Fiji Airways, 2x weekly (Winter)
- December 16, 2022: Houston, Texas (IAH) – Air Canada, daily
- December 17, 2022: Miami, Florida (MIA) — Air Canada, 3x weekly